Thursday, April 1, 2010

Printing Problems with PowerPoint 2007

Running Acrobat Pro 8.1.4, / Distiller Pro 8.1.3 / and PDF Maker Plug-in 8.1.3.0 / Windows XP.

Using the plug-in from PowerPoint 2007 to create a PDF file of that PowerPoint, I see the following: ''preparing slide''聽 and then ''Converting to Adobe PDF ...'' and then receive the following ''Acrobat PDF Maker'' error: ''An error occurred when trying to print to Adobe PDF.''聽聽 On other occasions, when I've tried this -- my PC crashed.

When I use the printer function in PowerPoint (''print to adobe pdf'' ) to get around this problem -- the first time, the process seems to complete, but then, no pdf file appears (I have the option set to open that file) ... and the file is not present in the saved location.聽 However, when I try the same thing again -- the resulting file both appears and is available as a saved file in the right location.

Any insights / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Printing Problems with PowerPoint 2007

See if this ''use me instead'' program for Office 2007 will work with PowerPoint

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059 -A2E79ED87041%26amp;displaylang=en

Printing Problems with PowerPoint 2007

Thanks ...聽 but no, this didn't work.聽 I received a ''Microsoft Office PowerPoint'' error message:聽 ''an error occurred while PowerPoint was saving the file.''


OFFICE 2007 seems to have some quirks that cause problems with PDF creation using Acrobat. However, it is likely that you are having a font issue. Try printing to file using the Adobe PDF printer and then open the file in Distiller to see the errors that are listed. That may help you find the issue with the PPT file. If you are using PPTX, you might also consider saving as a PPT file (Office 2203 compatibility). This does not eliminate all of the problems with OFFICE, but it might at least give you and idea of what is a problem.


Thanks Bill - appreciate your advice.聽 I printed the PowerPoint ''to file'' (but was required to uncheck the ''use system fonts only'' option.)聽 Having generated the print file*, I ran distiller without any problems - no error messages.聽 Having failed to understand the problem that way - I saved the powerpoint in 2003 format, and again, tried to use the pdf maker plug-in -- and received the same error message at the same junctor as before.聽 (I had preferences set-up with ''embed font -- which I unchecked and also tried to run -- but without success.)

*Something odd -- the last several times that I have used the print to PDF (with or without ''to file'' checked) -- I seem to fail on the first effort ... but succeed on the second effort.

Will look forward to any further guidance.

And again ... thanks.

Gary


When I was doing the tests with OFFICE 2007, the problems occurred in both the PPTX and PPT modes. Typically I have fewer problems with the PPT mode, but the files are typically larger. I have used OFFICE 2003 with Acrobat with no problems. OFFICE 2007 gave problems with both AA7 and AA8. I do not have AA9 to try. My general conclusion is that OFFICE 2007 is either messed up or has included hooks to mess up Acrobat (not a new tactic from MS from what I have heard - kind of how they have tried to dominate the browser market and why many choose to not use IE).

No comments:

Post a Comment