Thursday, April 1, 2010

Purchase order tutorial works local but...

Hello, I have the trial version of LC Designer ES and have been going through the tutorials which work fine locally. I need a PDF form to be populated by an XML file (just like the Purchase Order Tutorial) but located on my web server - so that anyone anywhere can open the form from their browser. I have changed the paths for the Schema and the XML but still no luck. All the files (PDF, XLS, XML) are on the root level of the site. Any thoughts on what I need to do??

Thanks for any help.

jim

Purchase order tutorial works local but...

Jim,

How are you merging the XML data with the form template?

Are you expecting the XML data to be merged with the form as it does when you Preview PDF in LiveCycle Designer ES?

Steve

Purchase order tutorial works local but...

Thanks for responding Steve,

Yes I was (wrongly?) expecting the data to merge as it would through the preview PDF tab. I assumed the parameters set in LiveCycle Designer were being embedded into the PDF so that when it is opened it would know the path to the data. (I guess I should know what happens when I assume).

So if this is not the way it happens then how does the PDF get the XML data to display. I mainly use PHP and apache/mysql and can get (my partner the programer to create) an XML file from the data in the MySql Database.

jim


Jim,

The primary consideration is the client type.

If your users have Acrobat, then they can import/export the XML, make a direct connection to the database, call a Web Service sitting in front of the database, or call a server-side process to get the data, for example.

If your users have Reader, then you are required to use LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES to rights-enable a PDF. A PDF can be assigned an import/export right, for example. When a user opens a PDF with import/export rights, Reader behaves like Acrobat. The most common use of Reader Extensions ES is to enable a PDF with local save so Reader clients can fill interactive PDF forms and save locally.

Steve


Steve,

My project requires that from a html/php page that is displaying information (say聽 purchase order information) a button is pressed and the same information populates a PDF form. In this instance the PDF is for layout/design and corporate identity purposes only and the purchase order information does not need to be editable (static).

The client would be using Acrobat聽 Reader (in their browser) to view and print the PDF. They would also at times need to save the PDF with all information so that they can email it.

I hope this makes sense, thanks for your time.

jim

No comments:

Post a Comment