Monday, March 29, 2010

Create more than one link to a document

I am a RoboHelp 6 user. I can only link to a Word document or PDF once, in other words if I create more than one link to a document, the second link is broken. I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me how I can get around this.

Create more than one link to a document

Hi there

Wow... a link should be a link should be a link, no?

Are you creating multiple links in the same page? Or are you talking about on different pages?

And just to be certain, you are using RoboHelp for Word? (shudder)

Cheers... Rick

  • Click here for Adobe Authorized Captivate and RoboHelp HTML Training

  • Click here for the SorcerStone Blog

  • Click here for RoboHelp and Captivate eBooks

Create more than one link to a document

Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I am using RoboHelp for Word. I'd like to give you an example of a typical scenario:

On one page I Have created a list of forms and created a link to each form (PDF and Word documents). On another page, consisting of paragraphs of text where I refer to some of the same forms, I would like to create a link. When I do just that, the first link breaks. It doesn't make any sense.

Thanks.

Cynthia


Hi again

What about your output type? Is that where you are noticing the break is occuring? Please tell us what your output type is.

  • WinHelp
  • CHM
  • WebHelp
  • FlashHelp
  • Other (If so, what?)

Cheers... Rick

  • Click here for Adobe Authorized Captivate and RoboHelp HTML Training

  • Click here for the SorcerStone Blog

  • Click here for RoboHelp and Captivate eBooks


Hi Rick,

My output type is WebHelp.


Hi again,

After compiling my document, when I click on the links, only the second link is live.

Cynthia


Hi again

So sorry, but I'm out of ideas and will have to leave you to find someone that uses RoboHelp for Word. Unfortunately, you are using a product that has an ever shrinking user base. Many have moved on to RoboHelp HTML. You may wish to consider switching as well. Here's why.

  • There are more users that are familiar with it and are able to help you troubleshoot.
  • You are creating HTML output.
  • The editing interface is very ''Word like'', so there is very little (if any) learning curve.

Creating HTML output from Word based documents will always be a trade off and sometimes a struggle. It's like trying to extract water from oil. (IMNSHO of course)

Something to think about... Rick

  • Click here for Adobe Authorized Captivate and RoboHelp HTML Training

  • Click here for the SorcerStone Blog

  • Click here for RoboHelp and Captivate eBooks


Hi Rick,

Thanks loads for trying! I'll consider your suggestion.

Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment