Sunday, March 28, 2010

Premier does not use all my CPU Cores...

Hello all!

I have built a dual quad xeon video editing workstation for my work but when we do any exports or renders the computer never uses more than 30% of its total CPU resources.聽 I have tried various codecs and settings but it always maxes out at 30% which is very frustrating.聽 By turning off 6 of the 8 cores in task manager affinity settings i can get both the cores to run at 100% which equals 30% CPU time.聽 If you turn on the other cores the load is then spread among them and the total CPU utilisation never goes higher than 30%.聽 From reading this forum i know other people have all their cores maxed out when rendering or exporting.

Full system specs are:

Tyan Tempest i5000XT

2x Quad Xeon

4GB DDR2 RAM

Radeon 1950 Pro

Creative X-Fi Plat pro

Windows XP (32bit) SP3

Adobe Production Suite CS3

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Premier does not use all my CPU Cores...

Welcome to the forums.

Are you using XP Pro or XP Home?

Cheers
Eddie

Premier does not use all my CPU Cores...

Sorry i should have said.

XP Pro VLK.


Good.

I must point out that different codecs have different capabilities. Some codecs cannot use more than one core to encode while others can.

Have you tested exporting to multiple different formats?

Cheers
Eddie


Thanks for your replies Eddy.

Do you have a suggested output format and codec which will make full use of the cpu resources?聽 That would help highlight if its the setting i am using or something more complex.


I'm afraid I don't know. I would suspect that exporting to DV AVI would use all processors, but hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in.

Cheers
Eddie


Hopefully so. 聽 Thanks again for your replies.

I downloaded another peice of software called media encoder and it maxes out all the cores so it is a setting problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment