Monday, March 22, 2010

Text disappears in PDF

I was sent a logo - in Illustrator - from another company. It was made up of line artwork and a couple of lines of text. All the lettering had been outlined.

I included it in a larger Illustrator doc, and when I created a PDF via Distiller of the whole thing, one of the lines of text in this logo didn't appear on the PDF, even though everything else showed up ok.聽 Because the missing text was outlined, there wasn't much I could do in the way of changing/adjustment.

I got round the problem by re-typing the line myself, and that showed up on the PDF, but no matter what I did with the original supplied line of text it would not appear on the PDF

Any suggestions?

Using a Mac 10.4.11 and CS3

Text disappears in PDF

Could it be that it was white text on a dark background? Was it maybe set to overprint? Check overprints and view your artwork and the pdf in overprint preview mode.

Text disappears in PDF

Thanks for that. Solved it. The offending text was set to ''Overprint'', so by changing the settings I can now see it on the PDF


O.k., that's what I imagined. Overprinting white has caused a lot of discussion elsewhere on this forum. There's a script for removing it but I can't remember just now what it's called. Otherwise you can Select Same... and remove overprints manually. Anyway, glad it's solved and remember ALWAYS to look at Overprint Preview before you make your pdfs. White overprinting is pretty nonsensical really unless you're using transparency effects. Reckon the Illy team ought to disable it so that you can only do white transparency effects through the Transparency palette and not through Overprint. That's the way it always was in Illy 5 and onwards or until they invented transparency.

No comments:

Post a Comment